California's premier event for library professionals. The California library community comes to the CLA conference for high-quality training workshops and peer-presented programs, networking opportunities, world-renowned speakers, special events, and to meet vendors and check out their latest products and services. Attendees say:
- "The CLA conference is my greatest opportunity all year to network with library associates statewide AND get the latest information on new programs and practices. I wouldn't miss it!"
- "This is the coolest library conference I have ever been to. The vibe was young, fresh, and fun."
CLA offers a variety of professional development and networking events during the spring months, presented by the CLA Interest Groups. Attendees say:
- "The presenter was wonderful and made the subject engaging and interesting."
- "The program was well-paced and a good return on investment. One of the best workshops I have ever attended! THANKS."
California Summer Reading Program
CLA's California Summer Reading Program provides public libraries with free resources to help them plan, present, and evaluate high-quality and impactful summer reading programs. Librarians say:
- "All libraries benefit from the opportunity to use the California Summer Reading Program materials. This effort brings libraries together as one voice for the community to hear how they can get involved in reading during the summer."
- "The materials are professional and reflect the importance of summer reading. The graphics are extremely beneficial for presenting a polished look and are a timesaver for staff."
CLA's participation in the statewide Summer Matters initiative helps communities in California build effective summer programs for children and youth. CLA is fostering meaningful summer partnerships between libraries and community-based enrichment programs, and supporting and evaluating libraries' role in the new vision for summer in California. Library partners say:
- "We now have a plan to work together to get the kids and their families more involved in the activities at their local library all year long."
- "We have strengthened our connections within the community and look forward to working on collaborative projects in the future."
Lunch at the Library
CLA's collaboration with the California Summer Meal Coalition (CSMC) supports the provision of summer meal programs and literacy activities for low-income children in California’s public libraries. This collaboration aims to support the wellbeing of children and youth when school is not in session during the summer months, particularly those in low-income communities. Families say:
- "It's just nice to be a part of a program that all-around cares :-)"
- "The lunch program was great. We spent more time at the library and learned about all the services due to the lunch program."
See our Calendar to find out about upcoming events!